I discovered the Book Survey through Effortlessly Reading and I knew I should hop on board with her, and the others. This year as been one busy year: a new baby, my daughter’s allergies (food allergies as well as asthma), so my reading took a dip or two during May – September but I am so glad I am back to reading, and enjoying “mommy time” aka Book Friendships, and Boyfriends (wink)
Best Books of 2013
1. Best Book You Read In 2013?
These was my 10 top picks from 2013
2. Book you were excited about & thought you were going to love more but didn’t?
All Fired Up by Kate Meader; I just felt the story line was dragging. There was a lot of times I would doze off while trying to read.
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?
Live and Let Die, the twist in this book is undeniably great! You will never guess what the ending will hold, even to the last page. It was one of the best books I read this year.
4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?
I recommended a lot of books to people in 2013, but the one I probably recommend the most was Friendship Makes the Heart Grow Fonder.
5. Best series you discovered in 2013?
Wow, most of the books I read in 2013 was part of a series. I would say if I mentioned the book in this list and there is a series then go read it. Kristin Hannah’s series I am currently working on finishing, and all of the others. I hope I can get all the series caught up with before the end of 2014. So we shall see!
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?
Man, there is a lot of New Authors, not just one, that I have discovered this year: Katy Regnery, Courtney Cole, Shane Morgan, Lisa Verge Higgins, Natalie Whipple, Lis Wiehl, Brandi Salazar, J. Adams, Kristian Hannah and so many more.. these authors I am definitely keeping tabs on. I fell in love with their writing, and some of them I have fell in love with their personalities: they care about their readers as well as their writing. I love that. I love the fact they reach out and want to make a connection.
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
A book out of comfort zone would have been: There Are Reasons Noah Packed No Clothes. It takes you through a journey of what it is like on the inside of a mental hospital. While reading such an intruding book, you are captivated into wanting to know more.
A new genre for me is New Adult, and Erotica. I guess we can blame Courtney Cole and E L James. We even named our son Grayson because we got pregnant about month after I finished the books, we tried for 9 months with no luck, who knew reading a book could help out!? haha!!
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?
Ducks in a Row by Michelle Garren Flye, One of the best books I have read this year, very thought provoking. This book has so much depth on so many levels. The thought process, and how everything played out was so great!
9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Oh, I don’t know. I usually read a book one time and either donate it, or let a friend read it. Once I read a book I hate to go back through. I guess it is kinda like a movie: once you seen it, you seen it, or so to speak.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?
Okay, I can’t pick one.. that would be like what is your favorite color nail polish!
Entangled by Nikki Jefford
11. Most memorable character in 2013?
Jacey, Before We Fall by Courtney Cole, she is so down to earth and willing to help anyone who she sees hurting, including Dominic. I loved her character and would love to read more about her.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?
Fly Away by Kristin Hannah, this book was so well written I have went back to the get the first book in the series.
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?
The Comfort of Lies, it brought back a lot of emotions, and I am thankful Randy Susan Meyers could bring out the real emotions of an affair.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?
The Spinsterlicious Life by Eleanore Wells
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?
“You will always miss her. There will be days – even years from now – when the missing will be so sharp it will take your breath away. But there will be good days, too, months and years of them. In one way or another you’ll be searching for her all your life.”
— Kristin Hannah, Fly Away
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
Oh goodness, I don’t even know. Shortest book would have been a children’s book that I read to my daughter, Jade.
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
“He had to get inside. It was essential that he know everything, the routes she took, her schedule, and the lay of the land.
The silver moon glowed overhead, mocking him. Somewhere in the trees an owl hooted its laughter at his failure.”
-Randy–from Spring Cleaning
18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
Frankie & Delilah had me on my toes as I flipped the pages. I went from knowing how things would play out to mouth dropping shock, ha! (In a good way)
The girls friendship is so bold, and real.
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Well, since my reading took a turn for about 3 months, I will just tell you my favorite authors: Janet Evanovich, Debbie Macomber, & Jennifer Weiner
20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
I don’t think I read anything that was SOLELY Recommended. Goodness, someone recommend something, (wink)
21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?
I am cheating, because I don’t have my review up yet.. but Noah from Pushing the Limits! I loved his character!
23. Best 2013 debut you read?
I wish I could just have one best book, but that would like what is my beat/favorite recipe haha!
24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?
Transparent by Natalie Whipple
25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?
Friendship Makes the Heart Grow Fonder was not only a journey of fun, but it was a journey of them learning about themselves, growing friendships, and the growing they had to overcome with their decisions of the present.
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?
Swimming with Maya by Eleanor Vincent, When a book brings you to tears, you know the writer has pulled you into her words, and with Eleanor she pulls you into her story. I longed for Eleanor through having to tell her daughter’s story.
27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?
A Matter of Trust, you will want to read all in one day. It was so hard for me to puyou are so far into the book that you just have to t down. The first few pages have you wanting more so fun of intensity, then keep going and going.. well, you get the point.
Book Blogging/Reading Life
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2013?
I have so many new blogs that I have stumbled upon. I follow so many, and even try to go by and comment on all of you. You are all amazing!
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2013?
Favorite?? How can you have a favorite review??
3. Best discussion you had on your blog?
Not a clue
4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?
hmm, I think I will start taking notes for next year.
5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
I love participating in the Teaser Tuesdays, it really helps with showing people about a book. I also enjoy the Monthly Wrap-Ups, it is a way to look back on how much you enjoyed reading, and which book was your favorite of that month.
6. Best moment of book blogging/your book life in 2013?
I love interacting with so many of you from authors to other book bloggers! Unlike my real life friends and even family don’t read as much as I do, I finally found people who are like me!
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
Children’s: Starring Jules #1: Starring Jules (As Herself)
Memoir: The Spinsterlicious Life
Most Commented: Someday, Someday, Maybe
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
Of course the Reviews!
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Man, this year I finally went and got a new Library card. I know, I have been slacking. I have also realized we don’t have “book stores” around here anymore: Barnes & Noble, Books-a-Million, etc. All are gone 😦
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
Oh yes, yes, yes… I completed my Goodreads Challenge! I didn’t know if I would with everything that went on this year: A New Baby Boy (Grayson), my daughter’s life-threatening food allergies, battling the school system, getting my food allergy support group up and running.. a little tired is an understatement haha!